Monday, September 7, 2009

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride

I currently find myself in East Haddam, CT.......I know, where? I'm working at the Goodspeed Opera house, in the cast of A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the Forum. I've never worked here before, and my friends who have, warned me that there isn't much to do in this town. I use that word loosely, town. This place basically has the theater, two restaurants, a postoffice, an ice cream store, a liquor store (of course), and some houses. That's it! When I got this job I decided I would set this goal for myself to lose 10 lbs. And knowing that there wasn't much to do I decided that I would start running. Now, I'm not much of a runner. I mean I was good at running as a kid, I ran a lot (bullies), but in my adult life, I will occasionally run on the treadmill at the gym. Cardio and I aren't the best of friends! We have a love/hate relationship. I digress.....

When I arrived in this antiquity of a town I was ready to accomplish my new goal. Full of excitement, hope, and anticipation. I could see myself, Chariots of Fire theme song and all, running like the Olympians of old. I got new shoes and everything to accomplish my goal. Goals are funny things aren't they. We set them, and at the beginning they look pretty good. We can see ourselves completing them with the greatest sense of accomplishment and achievement. Anyway, day One. I ask our company manager, a local woman, if there are any trails or something; I explain my desire to run. (though if I'd have taken a better look at the town, flee is more of an appropriate word). She tells me of this 3 mile route that she does, "its perfect" she exclaims. GREAT. I am set. I get the directions. I start my run.

Its the morning, 9:26 to be exact when I start. Exit my house, turn Right. 45 seconds into this 3 mile trek, a hill. Great?! Not just any hill, I'm talking small chairlift to get to the top hill. That's ok, I can do this...you set a goal....its just a hill. I'm feeling like the little engine that could....shouldn't have eaten those Golden Oreo's last night. Thanks a lot Mr. Oreo guy. Why did you have to tempt me with your golden crispy cookie and sweet filling goodness!! What seems like an eternity later, the top of the hill. First turn, ok, I can do this. Where am I? Is this right, there are no houses, just trees. (I take this opportunity to disclose that this part of Connecticut is the tick capital of the US. so I wear long sleeves and pants, just to be sure) So now I'm running thru the forest, shaded by beautiful trees, watch for falling ticks. What's that clicking sound? Oh, its just my knee.....maybe this was a little to ambitious.....run thru the pain, I'm sure a coach is yelling that somewhere this very minute! A couple cars pass me. Good, if I pass out and die on this road at least someone will find me. Second turn, great. I'll walk a few steps, catch my breath. Crap another hill. This one goes down. I'm not sure which is harder, running up hill or down. This is madness. "baby let me show you how to move this" my iPod cues Technotronic just as I'm about to walk the rest of the 3 miles. Ok, I'll run again. "get into the hot tub let me pour a little salt" Ooo, a hot tub sounds nice! I'm picking up the pace a little. Thank you Technotronic guy. Another hill, going up. Smaller than the last but still......really? Whats that on my left, oh, bear poop. Looks fresh. Great.........traffic, and ticks, and bears....oh my!! I definitely can't out run him should Mr. bear jump out of the woods. I'll take my shirt off, that should scare anything away. Oh, I can't gotta beware of ticks. Gotta catch my breath.....people up ahead, better start running again, don't want to look weak. Maybe I have more steam than I thought. Another hill, down this time....I'm running a little faster now!! YES, I can do this. My right ankle is cramping. Well, at least I can't feel my knee now. 3rd corner. Finally, some flat road. Oh, crap, another hill. Don't get hit by the truck as it goes barreling by. Stupid drivers. This is my road. Don't you know about my goal to run....stupid people. I'm feeling it now. How much longer is this stupid route? I pass a graveyard. As I look I see a tombstone with the engraving, "Steve's hopes and dreams" Oh, that's where they are, good to know. There is a cute antique store on my left; hours of operation, "open by chance" OK?! Now that's a great way to run a business. I see it, the end is near. Come on man, just a little more. I kick it into high gear. "ain't nothing gonna break my stride, ain't nothing gonna hold me down." my iPod cues the runners anthem. Thank you Matthew Wilder. Your song inspires me. I sprint the rest of the way. Maybe a minute. I'm sure there are 7th graders that could out run my sprint, but still I'm on top of the world. I pass my front door, time? 31 minutes. Not bad at all. I'll take that. I can't breathe, and my hip has seized up, but I did it. I check myself for ticks. All clear. Sweaty sense of accomplishment...priceless! I cool down and stretch for a few minutes, I feel a little light headed. Better lay down for a few minutes. I drag my sweaty mess of a self into the house.

Dear Diary, I'm never eating Oreo's again!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love it. I laughed my head off. I want everyone that I know that knows you to read it but I am going to wait for a few more posts. I can see Tovah now holding her sides and laughing until she cries. this is perfect for you. Everyone I know that knows you says you are a great story teller. I almost thing the pure white background adds something. Love it. keep doing it plese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very funny. I laughed and laughed. I recently decided to go to the gym to exercise. I'll think of your experience every time I go!

    ReplyDelete